of plugs and sockets
logos and information are restricted to company and brand names found
that is shown in the museum.
Manufacturers are listed in alphabetical order.
Sources: catalogs and internet sites of the given companies and Wikipedia. Information on Monowatt and GE has been given by Chris Hunter, Museum of Innovation and Science, Schenectady, NY.
® shown logos are registered trademarks of given companies or brands. Logos may not be copied, except for strict encyclopedic purposes in relation to plugs and sockets.
|Academy Electrical Products Corp.
started business in 1947 in New York, NY. The company made electrical
cord plugs, cord receptacles and outlets, and lamp sockets and
switches. Production came to an end in the late 1990s. Dissolution by
proclamation in 2000.
|Arrow Electrical Wiring Devices.
companies have played a role in the history of Arrow.
In 1890 Gerald W. Hart and George Hegeman founded the Hart and Hegeman Manufacturing Co. in Hartford, CT. They started to produce rotary snap switches for electric lamps. In 1905 Charles G. Perkins founded the Arrow Electric Manufacturing Co. In 1928 the two companies merged and create the Arrow-Hart and Hegeman Co. In 1981 Arrow-Hart is acquired by Cooper Industries.
|Bryant Electrical Corporation.
Founded in 1888 in Bridgeport, CT by Waldo Bryant, manufacturer
of wiring devices, electrical components and switches. The company grew
rapidly, but to realize even more expansion he sold a
majority interest to Westinghouse Electric. Bryant was also known for
promoting standardization of electrical accessories. In the process of
regional deindustrialization Westinghouse closed the
Bryant Electric plant in Bridgeport in 1988 and sold the remaining
Hubbell (see below).
|Cooper Industries. Charles and
Cooper opened in 1833 an iron foundry in Mt. Vernon OH, named C&G
Cooper Co. They
switched to manufacturing steam engines and later to gas engine
technology. After World War II they focussed, among others, on
electrical products. After acquiring Arrow-Hart in 1981 and Eagle
Electric in 2000, the Cooper Wiring Devices was created with
headquarters in Houston. In 2012 Cooper
was acquired by the Eaton Corporation, a multinational power
||Eagle Electric Manufacturing Company.
Founded in 1920 by Louis and Philip Ludwig and based in New York. Louis
Ludwig introduced the slogan "Eagle Electric-Perfection is not an
accident". In 1986 Eagle was the first to introduce sockets that were
protected against voltage spikes by means of a patented surge
protector. In 2000 Eagle Electric was purchased by Cooper Industries.
|General Electric Company.
In 1892 the Edison General Electric Company and the competitive Thomas
Houston Company combined business as General Electric Company. It
started with incandescent lighting. GE is now a large multinational
conglomerate corporation. Manufacturing of domestic plugs and sockets
ended in the second half of the 20st century. Power cords for modern GE
appliances may have a GE logo, but are made by other companies..
Note that US General Electric Co is not linked to British General Electric Co.
In 1888 Harvey Hubbell II opened a manufacturing facility in
Bridgeport, Connecticut. Hubbell was the inventor of a pull-chain
socket (patented in 1896) and a separable attachment plug (1903).
The iconic type with two, parallel positioned flat blades
was patented in 1912. Hubbell is still one of the prominent
manufacturers of, among others, plugs and sockets. Hubbell has acquired
many companies, among others Bryant Electrical Corporation (see above),
a still existing brand
||Leviton Manufacturing Company.
Founded in 1906 by Isodor Leviton in Manhattan. After starting
production of Edison lamp sockets, the company expanded the range to
lighting controls and other electrical products. It is the largest privately held manufacturer of electrical equipment in North America.
|Monowatt Electric Corporation. When
and by whom Monowatt has been founded is unknown. A1925 patent
assigned to Monowatt Electric Import Company Inc of New York for
Christmas tree lighting. The name Monowatt refers to the first, one
Watt, lamp that was imported. In 1926 the decorative
(Christmas) lighting division merged into NOMA. In 1929 General
Electric bought the wiring division. George Benander, engineer and
inventor was a key figure; more than 60 of his patents are assigned to
Monowatt and General Electric. Monowatt electric accessories had a
strong position in serving the chain store market. In 1951 GE brought
under direct control and the trade name Monowatt disappeared gradually.
|NOMA Electric Company.
NOMA stood for National Outfit Manufacturer's Association, a trade
organization founded in 1925. Thirteen companies joined the
association. The aim was reducing marketing and purchasing costs
to all members. Most of them were active in lighting and electric
accessories production. One of them was Monowatt. After a successful
year, the member companies merged into one company: NOMA
Once it was the largest manufacturer of holiday (Christmas) lighting,
but had close down in 1967. The trademark NOMA is now held by Inliten
of Glenville, IL.
|Pass & Seymour.
James Pass, a ceramic technologist, developed in 1888 at Onondaga
Pottery a vitreous type of tableware of unusual strength, known as
American Type China. Albert Seymour, superintendent at Syracuse's
lighting company was looking for a replacement of wood, that was mostly
used as insulator. In 1890 Pass and Seymour formed a partnership for
the manufacture of electrical porcelain. In 1900, Pass & Seymour
Inc was established in Syracuse, New York (source). The French company Legrand acquired
P&S in 1984.
The U.S. company was founded in 1929. In 1950 a branch of Woods
Industries was established in Canada. Both companies now operate as
Cable since 2007. Products made by Woods are appliance and extension
cords, outlet power strips and a small range of plugs and connectors.
The adapter shown in the museum has been bought in Canada.
non-US manufacturers sell NEMA type
plugs in the USA and Canada.
The museum has products of companies listed below.
|Ching Cheng Wire Material.
Established in 1980 in Taichung City, Taiwan.*
Tumbler Corporation (in 1988 renamed to Linvox) is a subsidiary of Ching Cheng. It is responsible for distribution, service and promotion of Ching Cheng plugs and appliance cords in the U.S.
|I-Sheng Electric Wire & Cable
Co. Established in 1973 in Taoyuan City, Taiwan.*
Acquired UL certification in 1999 that allowed export of power supply cables to the US.
|Rich Bay Co.. Established 1986 in
New Taipei City,Taiwan.*
Specialized in various types of IEC 60320 appliance cords with NEMA type wall plugs.
|W E, Chinese company. Full name is
unknown and therefore details are missing.
|* main production facilities are based in
Mainland China (PRC).
Plugs of these companies are also shown on the IEC 60320 page.
|D i g i t a l M u s e u m o f||P l u g s a n d S o c k e t s|